1. Jared is the only candidate with a record of taking on Big Oil and Gas. He’s worked to change our laws here in Colorado to stop fracking near homes, schools, and businesses and to provide true local control that gives communities a say in where and when fracking takes place. He’s written court briefs in support of local restrictions on fracking and directly appealed to drilling operators to change their practices. He isn’t just talking about this issue; he’s actually leading.
2. Jared is proud of his “F” rating from the NRA and has a strong record of fighting for commonsense gun safety. In Congress, Jared sponsors legislation to ban assault weapons, implement universal background checks, and lift the ban on gun violence research at the CDC. He’s repeatedly voted against efforts by the gun lobby to weaken our existing gun safety laws. He’s outlined a comprehensive gun safety plan for Colorado that includes getting weapons of war off our streets and keeping guns out of the hands of dangerous people. He has a 100% rating from the Brady Campaign.
Sources: https://tinyurl.com/Polis-NRA-F; https://tinyurl.com/Polis-Brady-100; https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/5087/cosponsors; https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/1565; https://www.sentinelcolorado.com/opinion/polis-less-talk-action-tackling-gun-violence/
3. Jared is the only candidate with a record of fighting for universal health care. He ran on Medicare for All all the way back in 2008 and has been supporting it ever since. He’s released a comprehensive plan to bring universal, single-payer health care to Colorado and surrounding states.
4. Jared is the only candidate not taking any special interest money in this campaign. NO PACs, NO corporate money, and NO contributions over $100. This is truly a people-powered campaign.
5. We have an opportunity to make history by helping Jared become the first openly gay governor to be elected in the entire nation. He already made history by becoming the first openly gay man elected to Congress in 2008, and he’s been a national leader in fighting for LGBTQ equality ever since. Polling has found that Jared is the most electable Democrat in the governor’s race — handily beating Republican opponents — and he is the only Democratic candidate who has won, and never lost, a statewide race. We truly have the opportunity to make history this year.
Additional Talking Points
Top-Line Message: Jared’s running for governor to turn bold ideas into real results for Colorado families.
Key Platform Issues:
- Education: Jared will increase funding for public schools and bring free, full-day preschool and kindergarten to every Colorado community.
- Energy & Environment: Jared will make Colorado 100% renewable energy-powered by 2040 and protect our public lands from Trump’s destructive policies.
- Health Care: Jared is a proud supporter of Medicare for All, and he will work to provide every Coloradan with affordable, accessible, high-quality health care.
- Economy: Jared will fight for a livable wage and new opportunities for Coloradans, and work to build an economy that works for working families — with better wages, a modern transportation system, universal broadband, and affordable housing.
- Gun Violence Prevention: Jared stood up to the NRA in Congress to introduce an assault weapons ban and a federal universal background checks bill. As governor, he will work to keep guns away from domestic abusers, take weapons of war off our streets, and crack down on illegal gun sales.
Track Record: Jared’s entire career has been defined by making bold ideas into results that work for everyone, not just those at the top.
- As an entrepreneur, he created hundreds of jobs — and when his companies succeeded, he shared the profits and success with his employees.
- As chairman of the state Board of Education, he worked to raise pay for teachers and reduce class sizes for students.
- He founded nonprofit public schools for homeless youth, new immigrants, and other vulnerable kids, serving as a superintendent.
- As a representative, he worked alongside President Obama to tackle climate change, improve our schools, rein in Wall Street, and expand health coverage to hundreds of thousands of Coloradans.
Jared isn’t afraid to stand up to special interests. He stood up to the insurance industry to support Medicare for All, he stood up to lobbyists to help pass ethics reforms in Colorado, and he stood up to the NRA to introduce an assault weapons ban in Congress. And he’s refusing to take any money from special interests, corporations, or PACs in this campaign.
Jared is standing up to Donald Trump’s destructive policies. He was one of only 58 representatives to vote to move forward with the impeachment process against President Trump. Jared is fighting back against Trump’s attacks on our health care, climate, public lands, and basic civil rights.